What causes irregular heart beats?

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am a 53 year old man who has been experiencing irregular heart beats over the past two months. It usually happens when I am stressed out at work but not always. I do not smoke and have very little caffieine. I have a family history of heart disease. Is this something that needs to be checked out right away?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seen Cardiologist, do an electrocardiogramme (EKG)

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

It is true that what you could be considering as irregular heart beats could simple be bouts of palpitations (raised heart rate) due to stressed conditions. It is important to note that when one is stressed out, hormones like Adrenaline are secreted in large amounts which can increase the rate at which the heart beats. In this case, stress control exercises and at times some drugs against anxiety could on their own be sufficient.

However, the irregular heart beat you describe could actually be an abnormality with your heart rhythm that could regular an urgent attention. It might be difficult to determine on your own, or at times even during a clinical review if it is simple raised heart rate or it is a cardiac rhythm problem (arrhythmia).
It is COMPULSORY for you to consult your cardiologist and get an Electrocardiogramme done. This shall show exactly if there is an issue with your heart rhythm or not.

There is no reason to panic, but it is important to get an electrocardiogramme to be very sure. It is not good in case a potentially treatable condition is allowed to persist , which could , in some circumstances be dangerous.

Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best pf health.

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T