What causes irrational fear of people watching over a person?

Dr. Soujanya

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 31 Jul 2018 in Mental Health
Question: My friend believes people are watching her when she is out in public. when she is home she tells me she keeps blinds closed and is worried about skylights and being watched. don't know how to help!
Answered by Dr. Soujanya 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Brief answer. Might be due to some reference ideas or phobia

Detailed Answer:
Detailed answer
Hi xxxxxxxx,
Welcome to health care magic
I have gone through your query and understand your concern towards your friend's suffering and symptoms

I could say it might be due to ideas of reference and also I want to know some more details like whether she feels that other people are discussing about her or referring her?

There is another possibility that she might feel uncomfortable in public places due to social phobia

I wanted some more details about what she actually worried about skylights?

If you can provide all these details along with duration of these symptoms and since when it was started, I can definitely help you

Hope this information would help you
Feel free to give any relevant information
Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Soujanya 2 hours later
She was a postal carrier. We I would talk to her she told me the job told her they would be watching carriers in the field. It seemed to change for the worse when they changed scanners and watched her movements all the time.When I met her she was outgoing. Now she hardly leaves the house. I talk to her about it and she can she the change and she is worried.

About skylights feels like she is being watched.
Answered by Dr. Soujanya 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Brief answer..yes, it is advisable to start her on antipsychotics

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,

I have gone through your follow up query and can understand her symptomatic problem due to which she has socio occupational dysfunction

So, I would suggest you proceed for consultation with the Psychiatrist and let her start on antipsychotics like OLANZAPINE along with anticholinergics like TRIHEXYPHENIDYL

These drugs must be accompanied with antidepressants like ESCITALOPRAM, and if required benzodiazepines like Clonazepam to regulate her sleep if she has any sleep problems because of all these symptoms.

I can say it's about time to get her start on these medications under medical supervision.
Hope this information would help you
Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee