• question-icon

What causes internal vibration feeling throughout the body?

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I am a 30 year old male, overweight, have HSV-2, and have been diagnosed with PTSD a year ago. I've been feeling very stressed out the past few months, primarily due to a breakup with an individual who was emotionally abusive to me.

I've been going to therapy regularly, weekly, to work through the re-experiencing of trauma, managing anxiety, and getting my life back on track.

Approximately 6 weeks ago I started noticing an internal vibration in my body. It is a tremor that I can feel and it seems like it is moving very rapidly. I consulted with a neurologist. He assessed me by examining my hands shaking, looked into my eyes, analyzed my movement. He stated that he did not see anything abnormal and did not order any further diagnostic examinations.

I spoke with my primary and was prescribed propanolol 2 times a day. It does not seem to be helping the tremor. I will be going for bloodwork this week to have my thyroid checked.

The tremor seemed to be precipitated by a lot of stress. It has been going on for approximately 6 weeks. now.
Can you please offer me any other insight into what could be causing this condition?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I think clonazepam should help you

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for using Health care magic.

I tead your query and understand your concerns.

First of all I like to tell you that feeling of internal vibration is hallmark of anxiety and it could be the manifestation of same PTSD for which you are undergoing therapy.

The differential diagnosis for such feeling is thyroid disorder and I feel we can discuss it after getting the thyroid work up done.

The another differential diagnosis is alcohol withdrawal . If there is history of alcohol abuse we need to consider it as a possible cause.

Having said this the treatment for acute phase is use of clonazepam. In my opinion have a target dose of 2 mg per day before thyroid blood work done.

I also like to assure you that the feelings of vibration are non threatening condition and try to ignore it as far as possible.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 27 minutes later
Thank you very much for your response doctor. The anxiety seems to keep building up as I think there is something very neurologically wrong with me.

I do not drink alcohol often, maybe once every few months, so I can rule that out.

The propanolol I am taking is not working and I will not be able to take clonazepam for a long time because I will be starting a medical related education program where I cannot take narcotic medication. For now, I will take a dose of clonazepam.

I noticed that when I had a few drink a few weeks ago, the tremor did not lessen.

Do you know the physiology behind anxiety related internal tremors/shaking?

I eager look forward to your response.
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for follow up.

The tremors associated with anxiety are caused by multiple mechanisms.

The first there is neurochemical imbalance that leads to hyper excitability of nervous membranes and so tremors.

In addition there is imbalance in agonist and antagonist muscles which results in tremor like feeling.

Thirdly there is increased nervousness which causes feeling of restless and tremor. In fact the description provided by you is more close to this mechanism.

Finally the neuronal and muscular membrane are unstable due to increased secretion of cortisol which leads to tremor as well as other symptoms related to anxiety.

I hope this answers you further.
Thanks and regards.
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist