What causes intermittent vertigo with nausea?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 8 Jun 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have been having vertigo off and on the past three weeks. Twice with nausea. For the past 36 hours I have had vertigo and a headache
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
antivert or dramamine or benadryl, may need assessment

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Vertigo can be due to different possible causes. It is most commonly related to the inner ear which plays a role in balance.

The most common inner ear causes are--(1) BPPV- benign paroxysmal positional vertigo- the vertigo varies or worsen with certain head positions, lasts seconds to minutes

(2)meniere's disease- associated with hearing loss and tinnitus which is abnormal noises in the ear such as tingling, buzzing etc

(3)vestibular neuronitis- this is the most common

There are other causes as well such as vertigo due to migraine, lesions of the brain stem or other areas of the brain, acoustic tumor (tumor of the ear).

It is usually assessed best by either an ENT doctor or neurologist. In some cases a CT scan or MRI is needed.

Treatment depends on the cause but medications such as anti vert or dramamine or even benadryl would help even if there is no nausea at the time. These older antihistamines help with vertigo and nauseaThe tylenol can be used of the headache

Meds are only used for a short period of time eg approx a week.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions