What causes intermittent tingling in left hand, dizziness and heaviness in head?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Wed, 16 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: Recently I've experienced a host of neurological symptoms for the past six months. It all started with tingling in my left hand which came and went. This was followed by weird sensation in the feet. Not necessarily numbness but feeling as if the feet were falling asleep. I then noticed that I was starting to feel slightly dizzy. Not vertigo. But I had a heavy feeling in my head and I felt slightly slightly off-balance. I found that it was worse when I was indoorsand felt better when I was outside walking. It's sensation would come for a week and then leave. And then would come back for another week and leave. I then felt as though my whole body was on edge, as if at any moment my limbs would jerk at random. The only time my limb has actualky jerked was when i was falling asleep. This has been happening more frequently recently. Ive also felt a weird sensation in my left arm ( not numbness. I've also experienced a hand tremor that comes and goes

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
peripheral neurological signs and likely causes

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Your symptoms revolve around multiple disease patterns and it is difficult to conclude a single diagnosis without work up so prematurely.

The symptoms started 6 months ago, and they come and fo, started from hands tingling, with involving feet, well if it was some debilitating disease it would have progressed much aggressively which doesn't seem to be the cause.

First possibility is of peripheral neurpathy like in B12 or B1 defficiencies. So the levels need to be checked alongwith D3, thyroid and sugar levels.

2nd being, off balance can be due to loss of coordination like in cerebellar diseases. Also the B1 deficiency can present with that too like in wenicks encephalopathy. A CT scan or MRI should be done to exclude both.

Other possibilities like GBS is less likely as such long time to progress seems less likely. Still nerve conduction studies should be done if symptoms persist.

The coming and going pattern and involvement of different sites, support MS but that can be ruled out in oligocolonal bands on CSF. Other disorders of spinal cord are less likely, but can be possible.

Treatment should be of the cause once it is located. Using supplements of B12, B6, B1, folic acid, iron and D3 can be initiated.

Detailed evaluation with a neurologist for all these possibilities should be ensured as soon as possible.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Neurologist evaluated me and said it looked like ms. Do you think it could be ms?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
MS likelihood

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Like I said in earlier message, I tried to bring you in, with all the likely possiblities and what favors or denies against each one of them.
Likelihood of MS is quite high but exclusion of others is also needed, as nobody would like to miss on some potentially treatable or reversible condition.

Do discus with neurologist, for reconfirmation with visual evoked potenional, MRI with or without godilinum contrast and CSF examination for oligocolonal bands as all these can help with diagnosis so that decision to pursue with treatment with steroids or other medications can be thought of in acute episodes.
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 12 hours later
I accodentalky mistyped. The doctor said it looked like anxiety not ms. Do you not agree?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
anxiety vs MS

Detailed Answer:
Hi!

Like we have had discussion in detail in first question, we have discussed nearly as many possibilities in which your symptoms fit in, and what is in favor and what goes against each.

MS was a possibility but, it can't be based on the history only, and detailed neurological examination done by neurologist for signs of MS help in excluding or including a diagnosis. Since he must have examined you in detailed, so the conclusion he has come up with must be based on some undeniable findings on your examination.

Also that, In my opinion MRI would be a good investigation to rule out many organic causes. Using supplements of B complex and folic acid isn't much harm.

If all these measures prove that no neurological cause exist then consult a good psychiatrist and discus all these symptoms honestly. You will get a good advise, I am sure.

In future you can reach me directly through my profile in case of any query. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj