What causes intermittent symptoms of glycosuria?

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Fri, 25 May 2018 in Diabetes
Question: Im getting random Glycosuria up to +++ Top level on awakening then a few days goes by and no sugar in urine, then check a week later and Glucose in urine again. No other symptoms and dont seem related to eating. Not overweight. 62 yrs old good health nothing else
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read your message.
The message is missing on the symptoms for which the tests are being done.

Anyways, there are many possible causes of glycosuria.
The most common cause is raised blood sugars.
You have not mentioned the blood sugars that are corresponding to the glycosuria.
I suggest that the next time you test blood sugar as well at the time of testing urine. A complete analysis of urine, and not just glucose may help.
There need not be any noted relation between diet and urine sugar.
The cause of raised blood sugar need not necessarily be only diabetes.
Some medicines like steroids and some BP medicines also raise the blood sugars.

There are other causes like kidney damage, blood in the urine etc which can also lead to the presence of glucose in the urine. However, I need to know more abotu the symptoms before those possibilities can be considered.

Another possible cause is the defective strips.
So do get the test done in the lab. To have a more accurate reading.

I have tried to make it as simple as possible.
Best of luck.
Dr Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 1 minute later
I check my urine every couple of weeks if no sugar. Never Ketone + or would go to emergency room. This last one scared me this morning it was a fasting urine and was full of sugar according to test strip. Didn't feel that great this morning that is why I checked. No thirst though. Am really tired since yesterday when I checked it and was positive mid day.

I am using the same 10 parameter regent strips they use at the hospital. They are new. Less than 6 months. Protein, Ketones, Glucose, PH, Neutro, Nitro,, etc. all normal except glucose.. No blood work done recently but a year ago had normal blood glucose fasting, a week later had high glucose in urine again. No steroids, or any other factors known to cause it. Will get A1C Tuesday then get specialist appointment if not normal. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestion

Detailed Answer:
having just fasting glucose is not enough.
the sugar may rise periodically and at the time if there is any renal damage, sugar leaks into the urine.
testing in lab is always better.
and as I said, test sugar with glycosuria.
best of luck.
Dr Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana