What causes intermittent swishing sounds in the ears?

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Thu, 31 Aug 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had swishing occasionally in my ears over the last few days. Sometimes it feels like it is in my neck and sometimes in my head. What does this mean?

I am also having itching on the bottom of my right foot that won't go away. I'm not sure if this is related to the first question.
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
These are not related- recommendations given for each of them

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question.

The two complaint you are having do not seem to have common cause or be related to one another.

The swishing in the ears is a very common symptoms that patients go to the doctor about and most of the times is not related to anything serious but a viral infection of the ears that will take a couple of weeks and fade away on its own. Sometimes this swishing in the ears might also be accompanied with reduced hearing or sensation like your head is dull or under the water (blocked ears).

Other causes of the swishing, even more rare, should be considered if it is not better in a couple of weeks or earlier if there is any worsening of it. In this case a visit with your doctor will be needed to check the neck blood vessels, do a neurological examination and order proper tests if he thinks more investigation is needed to determine the diagnosis.

The allergy drugs have been used before for this symptom but is not found to be effective in the studies so they are not recommended anymore to treat ear noises/swishing (tinnitus in medical terms)

For the itchiness in the bottom of your feet there are two main diagnosis that are generally considered: one is fungal infection and one is eczema. If you use a combined cream with antifungal and steroid (all two in one) and use twice a day on the area would be a good thing to try for 4-5 days.

If you can not find a combined cream, trying the antifungal cream twice a day for 4-5 days and if no improvement than use the steroid cream twice a day is recommended. Please do not use the steroid cream first, as it might worsen the fungal infection- or use them together or use the antifungal first so if no improvement it is not a fungal infection and than you can use the steroid cream.

Trying to notice if a certain chemical aggravates the itchiness on your foot is important and use a moisturizing cream once a day also.
If no improvement with the moisturizing cream and combined cream (antifungal/steroid) or any worsening you will need to see your doctor.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to reply in case anymore clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T