• question-icon

What causes intermittent swelling in the feet?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Veins and Arteries
Question: My feet have been swollen on and off for awhile now. The skin is thickening , itchy, and cracking. I have red small dots on top of right foot at ghis point also. Also spider veins showing up on ankles , calfs and thighs. Sometimes my feet turn colors like red and purple. They are both numb beond any feeling. Not sure what is going on.
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need some tests to investigate for certain diseases.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at HealthcareMagic.

I read your question carefully. There is some information that would be very helpful to know like your age and if there are any pre-existing chronic conditions to be able to have a better idea about the situation. Also, some pictures of the legs to see the lesions closely might be very helpful to me to assess.

How long have you been with these symptoms?

Cardiac problems are the first to consider and need to rule out, and also thyroid problems both of which might cause swelling of the legs. Also, the kidney function needs to be checked to make sure your kidneys are working well.

So I would recommend you to have the following tests:

1. leg ultrasound scan
2. 2D-echocardiography
3. blood tests for urea, creatinine, ALT, AST and Bilirubin, CBC (for anemia) and ESR, fasting blood sugar to rule out diabetes is important also. TSH for thyroid function

According to the results of these tests, it would be easier to have a proper idea of the cause of your symptoms and treat you accordingly.

I hope this gives you an understanding but please feel free to write back if any more clarification is needed. Please upload a picture of your legs and the lesions there and also let me know of the above information asked. You can simply upload/attach them to the reports section of this web page.

Kind regards

Antoneta Zotaj, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Antoneta Zotaj