What causes intermittent spasms in the lower left back?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Beginning yesterday I've been having these spasms in my lower left back and it's off and on?is it just muscles or something I need to worry about?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It seems muscular but renal cause should ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, it is most likely muscular but renal causes need to be ruled out. It's better to have an ultrasound KUB and get it examined for renal punch and other visceral abnormalities like enlarged spleen etc.

In absence of other systemic signs muscular is more favored though. OTC analgesics like acetaminophen or Ibuprofen can be helpful. Capciacin gel local application can also be beneficial. Muscle relaxants like orphenidine or tizindine may be needed too.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D