What causes intermittent sharp pain in the groin area while walking?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: 2nd occurrence in 2 days. no injury sustained that I am aware of. symptoms located in groin area of left leg. pain is random but frequent with duration of up to 1 minute. described as very sharp, shooting, stabbing and isolated. almost debilitating when walking. laying down now.

Since it has been over an hour that I submitted my question (and I am still in pain here), can someone help manage my expectations on when I should expect toreceive a physicians response? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Acute onset groin pain, advice to consult emergency room

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the query at HealthcareMagic.
I sincerely apologize since we were not able to get back to you sooner.
I have read your complaints and I understand your concern.

Acute onset of groin pain can be due to several reasons.
Hip joint problems,Inguinal hernia (out pouching of soft tissue through weakened muscle) , strangulated hernia (obstructed bowel loops within hernia) which require immediate surgical intervention, infections like prostatitis, epididimytis causing enlarged lymphnodes are all possibilities.

It is difficult to give a definite diagnosis without further evaluation and physical examination.

I'd recommend that you consult your doctor/emergency room for further management.
Meanwhile you can take Tylenol (if not allergic) for pain.

Hope I was able to help you
Please feel free to address any more concerns and questions
Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Thank you, Dr. XXXXXXX Would it help you narrow the possible diagnosis if I were to clarify or to specify that the location of pain is about as high on the frontal/inner thigh as you can go. It's located just below the crease beginning the abdominal area but the pain, being very isolated, does not travel beyond the body crease into the lower abdomen. Thank you and best regards.
Brief Answer:
Exact Location of pain is more in favor for diagnosis of femoral hernia

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for providing more specifics about the pain

The location of your pain favors the diagnosis of femoral hernia more than an inguinal hernia.
Hip problems,enlarged infected lymph nodes can also cause pain in the location.
But femoral hernia is most concerning, and need to be looked for.If untreated it can cause strangulated bowels within the hernia. Unstrangulated hernia presents with intermittent pain and increased pain during standing,walking,straining etc.Once the hernia become strangulated the pain becomes constant and progressively increasing in intensity.
I advice that you seek immediate medical care.

Hope I was able to answer your question,
Please feel free to address any more concerns,
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana