• question-icon

What causes intermittent sharp pain at the back of the thigh?

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi, I get a sharp pain, off and on in my right hamstring
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hamstrings strain most likely.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query,
Symptoms of a hamstring strain include a sudden sharp pain at the back of the thigh usually whilst sprinting or a fast stretching movement. Hamstring strains are graded 1, 2 or 3 depending on how bad they are.During a hamstring strain, one or more of these muscles gets overloaded. The muscles might even start to tear. Most likely a hamstring strain during activities that involve a lot of running and jumping or sudden stopping and starting.

Ice your leg to reduce pain and swelling. Do it for 20-30 minutes every three to four hours for two to three days, or until the pain is gone.Recovery time depends on how badly you injured the hamstring.Apply ointment diclofenac with linseed oil locally over the area of pain.
Give rest to hamstrings.
Treatment consists of rest, ice, compression, and elevation (RICE).
Initially you can take tylenol twice daily for 3 days.
Most hamstring injuries heal without surgery. Rarely, when there is a complete rupture at the ischium, or when a significant piece of ischial bone is jerked away, surgery is necessary. Essentially, all other grade I-III tears are best treated without surgery.
If not relieved in 7 days go for MRI leg to look for a possible tear.

Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist