What causes intermittent right flank pain?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: I have been having intermittent right flank pain, over my kidney. The pain can go from 2/10 to as much as 7/10. I recently had an abdominal US and was told I have fluid in my abdomen, otherwise nothing alarming. They did a urinalysis and it was essentially normal. This pain has been going on for weeks, and seems to be worse since I was dehydrated last week.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No worries, Innocuous, Slight care and few meds

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Flank pain with ultrasound abdomen clear and not alarming, clear urine routine exam is likely an innocuous one and likely due to spasm secondary to the recent dehydration you had . Just replenish your fluids and electrolytes and keep an eye on your renal functions and symptoms.

Take some antispasmodics, some muscle relaxants like skelaxin ( as sometimes a mere back ache can mimic a flank pain and easily gets managed with a single or two doses of muscle relaxants and ibuprofen) and hope for the best. With all the labs unremarkable you need nothing to worry about. Just drink plenty of fluids and rest for a while.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan