question-icon

What causes intermittent pain under the left breast?

Posted on Sat, 23 Jul 2016
Question: I get irregular chest pains underneath my left breast. They sometimes last for a few minutes to one or two sharp pains and may not come back for weeks. Mammograms show left breast as being dense, but no sign of problems. Wondering what else I should be looking for.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal (55 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Hello dear. I would like to go for an MRI.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. Welcome to HCM. I understand your concern. But first of all please do not worry.
As the mammogram is not showing any abnormalities, you must not worry.
However, as you are still having pain, an MRI of the breasts is warranted as mammogram sometimes may miss small lesions and specially when the breast is dense.
MRI is a safe investigation and no risk of radiation. After completely ruling out a tumor, other possibilities can be looked after like costochondritis, muscular pain or some benign vascular lesions causing pain.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist