• question-icon

What causes intermittent pain in the left side of the chest?

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Pain in top left of chest on and off for 6 months all tests heart chest xray ok
Taking riboxalin for blood thinning as had pulmonary embolism in past. Pain when take very deep breath.
I run 5 mile each day with no breathing difficulties.
What would be diagnosis of pain
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Doesn't look like a cardiac issue

Detailed Answer:
After going through the medical details provided by you I would like to tell you that as per the details provided by you it doesn't look like a cardiac pain also all your cardiac tests were normal as per you.

Pain on deep inspiration or deep breaths may be due to some lung problem or may be due to costochondritis.

But as you are telling that your chest xray was also normal then the only most common thing that's causing it is costocondritis or muscle cramp.

So I would like to suggest to take a break from your daily exercise or running routine and give your body some time to heal. By this time take good protein diet and some mild pain killer for adequate recovery.

I hope this information will be helpful. Feel free to ask if you have any more doubts

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 16 minutes later
I am flying from U.K. To hongkong on Tuesday so I should not be concerned about pulmonary embolism from test results and symptoms as my breathing is fine when running etc
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
If all your recent test results are alright and you are not symptomatic then it's not a issue to travel.

However it's still advisable to personally consult your cardiologist for physical examination and evaluation before travel.

Do keep yourself well hydrated and XXXXXXX during the flight.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist