What causes intermittent pain in the abdomen?
could I have an undiagonosed infection? My blood work and stool checks are always normal. Years ago I had an absess and the only way they found that I had an infection is with a needle biopsy. Should I insisit on one of these also if their testing shows normal results? XXXX
Detailed and proper history and clinical evaluation helps in diagnosis.
Thanks for your review query.
The chances that you having no pain are less as there looks to be an organic problem that may not go away on its own, otherwise the problem might have settled by this time.
For liver, now there is availability of fibroscan, that can detect liver fibrosis.
MRI is not a good investigation for abdomen, CT scan shows better diagnosis.
Another older investigations is barium contrast studies for stomach and intestines that give idea about any chronic obstruction and preferably done under fluoroscope as enteroclysis.
Surely 2nd and 3rd opinion helps in most of the cases.
Since the pain is severe, the diagnosis should certainly be found.
IF this would have been under-diagnosed infection WBC would have been increased and Ultrasound could have shown this.
Of which part the needle biopsy was taken years ago?
Please give me your detailed history related to the pain like:
The factors which increase or reduce the pain?
Is there any nausea/vomiting?
Type of pain - whether burning, twisting, throbbing?
Any other associated symptoms like fever, chills?
I hope this answer helps you.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes intermittent chest pain and back pain
- What is the cause of painful lump in abdomen
- What causes sever pain in the abdomen
- What is the cause for intermittent chest pain
- What is the cause of pain in backbuttock and abdomen
- What causes pain in joints and abdomen
- What are the causes of abdomen pain
- What is the cause for bloating and pain in abdomen
- What could be cause of intermittant lower quadrant pain
- What can cause intermittent sharp pain in chest