What causes intermittent pain in navel?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Dull pain near belly button. Sometimes a little sharp, especially when I lift something heavy or when I yawn or laugh hard. Pain comes and goes about every week or every two weeks. I work as a delivery truck driver lifting 10-50 pound boxes occasionally. My guess is I damaged an ab muscle.

Image attached. The dot I put is where I feel the pain the most.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hernia is the most probable reason.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Form your description, as the pain appears when lifting something heavy, hernia near the umbilicus seems to be the most probable diagnosis. The pain can be also worse when coughing or pushing hard on stool.
You may be able to palpate a lump in the marked area, however sometimes it is impossible.

I suggest you to consult your doctor and have abdominal ultrasound done. It will answer the questions if there is a hernia or not.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.