What causes intermittent pain in back and legs?
Muscle spasm likely.
Thanks for posting your query.
From description it seems he might be suffering Mechanical back pain.
It is a common medical problem. Mechanical back pain implies the source of pain is in the spine and/or its supporting structure. The surrounding muscles and ligaments may develop reactive spasm and pain.
The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin or Brufen 1 tablet as and when required ( do not repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food will help relieve the pain.
• Correct the posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.
The most essential and long lasting remedy is exercises. There are certain back strengthening and isometric exercises that he must learn from a physiotherapist and perform them at home or work whenever possible.
He can start with swimming and mild aerobic exercises. These do help a lot in the back pain. Do adequate warming up before starting the exercises daily.
Taking calcium and vitamin D 3 supplements will also help in early recovery. He can get these prescribed from an orthopedician. In case the pain is persistent then oral muscle relaxants will help.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes intermittent chest pain and back pain
- What causes pain in lower back and legs
- What causes upper back pain
- What causes middle back pain
- Iud cause leg and back pain
- What causes severe pain at back and legs
- What causes severe back pain
- What causes middle back pain and numbness in leg
- Pain in leg and upper back cause
- What causes severe back pain that radiates to the leg