What causes intermittent pain after anal fistulotomy?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I had an anal fistulotomy over a year ago, and still have occasional pain when sitting. My doctor says everything is normal. Is it typical after such surgery that the area one sits on is never quite the same again? I'm a 56 year old, otherwise healthy male.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Its will take some weeks to be same again soon

Detailed Answer:
Hello,Have gone through problem.

Sit in a tub of warm water for about 20 minutes.
Eat a high fiber diet.
OTC creams and anti-inflammatory medications may help.
Fissure cause sspamodic pain therefofe an antispasmodic along with muscle relalaxantant shoul be taken for a few days.
Vitanic C anf folic acid supplements should be taken along with it.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 11 hours later
Please read my question again. This is not a recent surgery ....it was over One year ago (19 months ago to be exact) is it normal after a fistulotomy for things to never be the same in that area? To always have some minimal pain or disccomfort when sitting? It is not unbearable, just a nuisance. Please advice.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No you should be fully normal 12 weeks post surgery.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Have seen your follow up,
No, pain and discomfort after 19 months of surgery is not a good sign.It can be likely that fistula are going to reccur (as recurrence rate is very high post surgery) soon.However best idea this time would be to get a MRI done to rule out if there are some tracts which are developing.To be on safer side antibiotics and anti inflammatory therapy can be used.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj