• question-icon

What causes intermittent nose bleeds?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Periodic nose bleeds in right nostril only
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending the question.

If you are having an intermittent nosebleed on only one side of your nose this may be a sign of a nasal polyp. This can sometimes become inflamed and may ooze blood from time to time.

You could try using an over-the-counter nasal spray such as Ocean nasal spray to keep the nasal tissue moist and help decrease bleeding risk.

I do suggest however that you see your primary care provider for a good physical examination and direct examination of the nasal passages.

One additional consideration is that blood thinners such as aspirin can contribute to bleeding risk. Also, if your platelet count is low for some reason this can also cause intermittent bleeding. This can be evaluated again with your primary care doctor.

Thank you again for sending the question.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist