What causes intermittent nausea, cold sweats and dizziness?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 8 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: have been experiencing nausea, cold sweats, and dizziness for periods of about 10 mins., about every 4 hrs
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

If this just came on today, abruptly, the most likely cause is from release of a toxin which can happen from food poisoning or food infection. It can also happen from other types of infections from cytokines (inflammatory mediators) that your body releases in response.

Food poisoning happens when food has been contaminated by improper food handling such as leaving food out too long, not cooking it long enough, etc. This can happen with any food but is more likely to happen with eggs and meats. The bacteria that then grows can release substances that have a toxic effect causing light headedness, cramping, nausea/vomiting and sometimes diarrhea, and sometimes fever. Chills and sweats are common too.

It will typically pass with time (usually within a day), but if you start to lose a lot of fluid from vomiting or diarrhea then go in to be seen by a doctor to make sure you are not getting dehydrated or having potassium imbalances (both of which can be addressed with an IV which will also allow your digestive system to quiet). It sounds, though, as though you are not having vomiting at this point and it's possible your symptoms will not get to that point.

Other possibilities that are not bacterial or infection related are endocrine problems (thyroid, adrenal), but these do not come on so abruptly. In addition, allergic reactions can sometimes include these symptoms, but they usually don't present this way (itching, rashes, throat swelling would be present too, usually).

I hope this information helps. Whatever is going on with you may show it's self more specifically soon. Do go in to be seen if symptoms worsen or continue beyond what I described.