• question-icon

What causes intermittent nausea, burping and hollow feeling in the stomach?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi i'm a 41 year old female. For the past couple of years two or three times a year I go through a two to three week period of feeling very nauseous on and off throughout the day. I am currently going through such a period for the past week I have been feeling very nauseous. I have gone through the same feeling in December and it lasted a litte over two weeks. I've recently had a complete physical also had bloods taken when I have been feeling ill everything comes back normal. My bowel movements are fine I have no pain just burping alot and an empty hollow feeling in stomach. Im not bleeding or vomiting. My doctor does not seem overly concerned and feels that the root of the problem may be anxiety. What do you think could be causing these bouts of nausea.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible Diagnosis: Gastritis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic,

The symptoms you are experiencing is suggestive of gastritis. Gastritis is due to increased acid secretion and subsequent irritation to the stomach lining. Anxiety and stress can definitely contribute to the symptoms.

Here are few things to try to help relieve nausea:

-Avoid stress. Try relaxation techniques like exercise, meditation, yoga etc
-Avoid fatty, fried, spicy food and chocolate
-Avoid carbonated caffeinated drinks
-Avoid smoking and limit alcohol intake
-Eat small frequent meals, avoid going empty stomach for too long
-You can also take Pantoprazole 40 mg daily (instead of Prilosec) in the morning before food.

I would also recommend undergoing urea breath test to rule out the possibility of H.Pylori infection. If so, antibiotics should also be added to the treatment regimen.

Please be advised to follow up with your primary care provider for undergoing a urea breath test.

Hope this answers your question
Please feel free to address further questions here

Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 14 hours later
I've tested neg for h pylori in the past can gastritis be brought on by stress and can it come in episodes
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Definitely. Stress is a major cause of gastritis.
Stress response in our body can cause increased acid secretion in the stomach.

Please be advised to follow the recommendations I have mentioned earlier in above answer.
I would also recommend retesting for H. pylori if the test was done more than a year before.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here

Dr.Lekshmi
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 3 days later
Thanks for your assistance I have been taking zantac for past week still feel strange empty feeling sometimes food eleviates the sensation sometimes not my appetite is slowly improving I have a dr appointment scheduled for the first week of August should I try and schedule an emergency appointment or is it safe to wait considering that these same exact symptoms occurred in december and suddenly cleared mid January. I am not in pain or bleeding.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
Thank you for following up

It seems that you are responding to Zantac.

However, since you have been taking Zantac for a week and the empty feeling still persists, switching to a proton pump inhibitor can help. Pantoprazole is a proton pump inhibitor and it has better efficacy than Zantac. You can take Pantoprazole 40 mg in the morning before food.

Also, follow the diet recommendations I had mentioned in above discussion.

You can also take over the counter antacid like Gelusil whenever the symptoms are too bothersome.
You can follow up with your doctor on the first week of August as scheduled.
An emergency appointment is not warranted.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here

Dr.Lekshmi

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal