What causes intermittent muscle spasms in the calf?

Posted on Wed, 23 Nov 2016 in Veins and Arteries
Question: Twice this week, I have experienced a stabbing pain in my left calf. The first time was so severe that I was limping for 3 days. It got better just from resting it. I didn't try ice or a pain reliever. Now, just walking down stairs, as I moved my foot in a normal up/down motion, as one would with going down stairs, it hit again in the same exact place. I'm a 66 year old female. Anything that would cause this to happen twice in the same place in such a short time? I was simply walking the first time.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it can be due to muscle spasm

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case. I think you are having muscle spasm in calf. It can cause pain at same place twice. Rarely it can be a blood clot also.I have following suggestions for you.
1.Hot water fomentation by keeping your feet in a bucket fill with warm water.
2.Tablet with muscle relaxant like Chlorzoxazone or Thiocolchikoside or cyclebenzopyrine.
3.Volitran ointment local application.
4.Calf stretching exercises and rest.
5.If pain stays or increases even after these steps then you need to get doppler examination of the calf.
I hope these steps will be helpful for you.Let me know if there is any other followup questions.
thanks
Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement