What causes intermittent menstrual bleeding for twenty-seven days?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Wed, 31 Oct 2018 in Women's Health
Question: I have had menstrual bleeding on and off for 27 days. what could be the cause? have had normals cycles up to this point. seeing new dr in March but its getting really concernig to me.
Answered by Dr. Eni 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

It may be perimenopause.

Detailed Answer:

Normally females in their 50s years of age face these events due to another stage in life called Menopause. Before it, the woman has still up and down menstrual bleeding.

It is always adviced to perform a vaginal ultrasound examination to check for the condition of the uterus, ovaries etc. A Pap-test ist a must, and should be made on regular schedule.

Hormone therapy may be considered and you may talk about it with your gynaecologist.

As you described it, there is nothing to be worry, just try to get used to it, because it will soon pass by.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Eni 45 minutes later
What symptoms should I expect with peri menopause? And how long should I be expecting symptoms to last?
Answered by Dr. Eni 11 hours later
Brief Answer:

Normally 3 years.

Detailed Answer:

The perimenopause period lasts normally 3 years, but this is different from one person to another.

You may expect: hot flashes, change in mood, weight gain, pain while sexual intercourse, fatigue, sleeping problem, irregular periods.

It is important to notice that if you bleed more than 7 days, and very frequent, if you bleed with pieces of blood clots, this may be most often due to fibroids in the uterus, and you need to check the situation of the uterus with the ultrasound examination as I explained in the first answer.

You need to take a calcium supplement during this time, eat good and a healthy diet, with more vitamins, the sport is a must, otherwise, you may have a lot of fatigue and problem with sleeping.

Some women have more symptoms, some have less, just keep in mind that this is a normal episode of life and if you do regular checkups and eat healthily and take care of your self. Everything will be fine.

After perimenopause, you will pass in Menopause, where you will have no more menstrual periods, and you cannot bear any Child.

When the Menopause is in, the symptoms will go away, but you have to consider calcium supplements if your blood analysis says that you need them.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Eni, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana