question-icon

What causes intermittent lower left abdominal pain?

Posted on Sat, 16 May 2015
Question: I have had lower left abdominal pain for a week that comes and goes. Tonight it became much worse to the point that a 500 mg acetamine P M still won't let me sleep. Should I go to Emergency? Age 82.
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta (1 hour later)
Brief answer..you must got ER 
Detailed answer...
I have read your query and understand your concern.
There can be many reasons for the pain in left side of abdomen.
Although most common cause is generally the involvement of kidney but other causes pertaining to digestive tract,reproductive tract,hernia etc can also be the reason for your pain.
Since treatment depends upon the diagnosis and for diagnosis one needs a physical examination as well as various investigations like ultrasound and CT abdomen,you need to go to ER immediately.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks
Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta