What causes intermittent jerking of the legs?
Can be due to electrolyte abnormality.
The tightness of the muscles that you have can happen due to a muscle spasm. Sometimes, it can be due to dehydration, muscle fatigue or electrolyte abnormalities. It is better to drink sufficient fluid and also see that your intake of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium ) is sufficient. You can drink Oralyte for this.
Other factors are:
Poor fitness levels and lack of regular exercises.
Poor nutrition and obesity.
Sometimes osteoarthritic changes in the knee are the reason.
Do consult your physician for a few tests in case these are persistent.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Praveen Tayal, Orthopaedic Surgeon
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes large legs
- What causes pitikia on legs
- What causes withering of the leg
- What can cause sudden intermittent weakness of the legs
- What causes a indent on the leg
- What causes leg infection
- What causes marbled legs?
- What causes intermittent warm sensation down the leg
- What causes cellulitis leg
- What causes hypnic jerks