What causes intermittent itching in rectum?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: i have itch in my rectum that comes and go. what cause that itch. does it mean that I have diabetes
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pruritus ani / anal itch. needs correlation by a proctologist.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Anal itch also called pruritus ani is not diabetes related mostly. pinworms, skin problems like contact dermatitis, hemorrhoids, and washing too much or not enough, using soaps perfumes, wearing tight clothes, not removing the hair from the perianal side,chronic diarrhea, sexual contact through anus etc are the commonest causes of such symptoms.

Talk to a proctologist and let them prescribe you something after clinically correlating the cause for it. Meanwhile you may take some oral anti histamines and topical anti itch cream easily available over the counter. Cleanse the anus gently after defecatign , the plan is to clean not irrigate, so gentler you are better it is. Dry thoroughly after that, dont leave it wet. Dont scratch the area. If you feel the urge use a lukewarm bath, keep the nails trimmed. Avoid bubble baths, genital deodorants, perfumed soaps, moist wipes, witch XXXXXXX products and other items that might irritate the anal area. Cut back on or avoid coffee, cola, alcohol, citrus fruits, chocolate, spicy foods, tomatoes and foods that may cause diarrhea. Avoid overuse of laxatives.Protect your skin from moisture by applying a thin layer of a zinc oxide ointment (Desitin, Balmex) or petroleum jelly. You could also use a 1 percent corticosteroid cream (Cortaid, Preparation H Anti-Itch Cream) two or three times a day to relieve itching. But don't use this type of cream for more than two weeks because of possible side effects, such as thinning of the skin.

last but not the least, maintain good bowel habits and toilet hygiene. Wear loose undergarments preferably cotton and keep an eye on your symptoms and let the proctologist decide what it is.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan