• question-icon

What causes intermittent fever, diarrhea and black stools in a child?

Posted on Mon, 18 Sep 2017 in Child Health
Question: My 12 months old baby is having fever on- off for last 4 days. She is passing 10ml of liquid stool every 10-20mins. Suddenly she passed black stool today. She is bot eating anything and we r trying all fluid options to avoid dehydration.
We gave Sinarest and Baby Paracetamol.
Plzz suggest what to do.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like viral diarrhoea - but black stool is worrying

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

It seems your kid is having viral diarrhoea. Once it starts it will take 5-7 days to completely get better. Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

But black coloured stool is somewhat worrying. Please let me know if this is really black coloured and like sticky toy which is put on roads...or is it dark green in colour which you are quoting as black.

I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops 1ml once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment. If there is vomiting you can use Syrup Ondansetron (as prescribed by your paediatrician).

Regarding diet - You can use cerelac...any flavour will do. Avoid fruit juices as they might aggravate diarrhea. You can give zinc supplements & ORS apart from normal vegetarian porridges & soups.

As far as fever is concerned - I will explain you how a viral illness behaves so that you can be more confident.

Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day. If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics at all. Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.

Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (maximum ceiling dose of 500mg) every 4-6th hourly that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 32 minutes later
Thanks doctor for such detailed clarification.
My baby is doing deep green stool. Also only once she had really darker shade stool but 95% of time its only yellow water.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
That's ok - please follow my instructions

Detailed Answer:
Hi... you need not worry about dark green stool, please follow my instructions as above.

I wish your kid a speedy recovery. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link.

Once the page opens there will be an option below my image as – ASK ME A QUESTION – click on it.

Please find the link below -

www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sumanth-amperayani/67696

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology