• question-icon

What causes intermittent dull chest pain?

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Over the past year and a half I've had an on and off dull chest pain that usually manifests when lying on my side in bed but at times can manifest in other positions or when standing or sitting. The pain is often accompanied by a feeling of breathlessness and can best be described as a sort of pressure on the central part of my upper chest. Exercise does not tend to produce the pain or aggravate it.

Recently the pain has started to occur more frequently and has started happening more often when standing up or sitting than it used to. Over the past 3 or so months the longest I can recall being without it is around a week.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Do some tests

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking in HCM

I can understand your concern

As you explain the history of your symptom if you were my patient i would recommend you the following tests for examining the cause of the pain :

Chest x Ray
D dimer
ECG

The above are for lung and cardiac problems.

If they come negative than you should do a ggastroscopy for exploring the stomach. Sometimes the acid reflux may be the cause of this kind of pain.

Please discuss with your doctor for the above .

After having the results you can attach me them and i will help you again

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist