What causes intermittent dizziness, weakness in the leg and facial numbness?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi I am feeling like the room is spinning. This feeling comes and goes but today I keep stumbling, my legs feel weak and my face feels numb. Ive heard chewing garlic and or Ginger is good for this.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Some benefit from ginger

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

That description you provide seems typical for vertigo. Vertigo can have different causes. Most probable one are inner ear issues such as benign positional paroxysmal vertigo. The recurring nature would indicate such an issue.

Ginger is reported to have some efficacy in alleviating vertigo so it can be safely tried. I am not aware of any benefit of garlic for vertigo, though it has plenty of other benefits and there is no harm in trying it.

If those do not work then medication like meclizine or betahistine may be used.

You should be aware of symptoms which may indicate another cause such as stroke, symptoms like double vision, weakness or numbness of the face or limbs on one side, changes in speech, movement coordination issues etc. If such symptoms appear should present to the ER to be evaluated for the possibility of stroke.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 3 hours later
Hi there,

I just wanted to let you know i am a MSN student in my last semester of clinicals. I posted this question for an assignment for school comparing information from pop science sites to professional information or Govt sponsors sites. I described some acute symptoms that required immediate medical attention. thanks for your time.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Good luck with your assignment.