What causes intermittent diarrhea, scalp psoriasis, joint pain and abdominal bloating?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 8 Nov 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had diarrhea off and on for months. In the last several weeks, I've had other symptoms which seem to be increasingly worse. I have psoriasis on my scalp, and joint pain in my thumbs, wrists and knees. I seem to feel bloated always after eating, and can get pretty severe stomachs. I have trouble sleeping at night, but am very tired during the day. I seem to be losing lots of hair, and have gained quite a bit of weight without changing my eating habits. I recently had my thyroid checked and it is fine. Any ideas of what I should do next?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to gluten enteropathy

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. You could be having celiac disease and the problems could be due to gluten intake. There are several serologic (blood) tests available that screen for celiac disease antibodies, but the most commonly used is called a tTG-IgA test. For this test to work, you must be consuming gluten (consider your normal eating pattern and nothing else) before the test is done. A subsequent dietary modification would be advisable. The following links should be useful for you:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/gluten-free-diet/art-0000
http://patient.info/in/health/coeliac-disease-diet-sheet

Let me know if I could help further.