What causes intermittent chest pain?

Excellent

Pulmonologist
Question
I am having intermittent chest pain at my sternum. It occurs mainly with movement, coughing, sometimes with a deep inhale or exhale - but not every breath or movement. I've been to ER checked for heart attack, blood clots, and infection - all clear and tests normal. Could this be a muscle strain in this location?
Wed, 30 May 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
probably costochondritis

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to HealthcareMagic,

Yes, I can understand your concern.

According to the history you provided, it's good that lung, heart, blood clot, and gastric problems have been excluded.

In my opinion regarding this situation might be costochondritis in the junction of the ribs with the sternum or muscle problems (like contractions).

If the above-mentioned findings are positive than NSAID medications (like Tylenol) for two weeks orally twice are recommended in costochondritis and painkillers are more effective in muscles contraction.

However, you should discuss with your doctor for the above and s/he for sure will consider them and probably will order a consultation with the specialist rheumatologist for better evaluation of your condition.

Hope to have been helpful for you

Regards and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda