• question-icon

What causes intermittent abdominal itching and chronic lower back pain?

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have severe inner abdominal itching which is intermittent. My gallbladder was removed 4 years ago. It was so huge that it had grown in to three pools of gallbladder holding the sand. A blockage of the common duct was opening and closing like a lever, said the surgeon, and she removed the blockage. I am 68 years old, and have had multiple hernia operations from lifting patients of my own as an RN/BSN. I have dry skin. At 60 a PE did severe damage to my lungs--I lived--All factors for clotting are low, so I'll never be off the xarelto, since two cousins, maternal side dropped dead with a year are so. Right knee replacement, compression of L5 --has led to chronic pain in my lower back--Thus it is crescendo, decrecendo--You are fat at the 300 mark which I've gained from inability to exercise in addition to tachycardia, heart failure since the PE--I wish to scream, for the intra-abdominal itching when it acts up goes on night and day, and I say that it should not be intermittent, since I've been on opiates for years.
It is your obesity; your out of shape; Look at that weight--"Scream; I'm just easing out of one of the longest and worst periods of itching. I am at my wits end with the whole issue. I used to do every crazy diet which came along--This is related to that nasty scar where the itching is most severe at times. Now, your turn.

Could you also send the follow up answer to my internal medicine physician in San Francisco, for I will see him on July, 5, and I'd like for him to see the collaborative information.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antihistaminic, topical steroid and moisturising lotion, certain lab tests

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
I have gone through your complaints as well as understand your concern.
Your itching could be related to dry skin, liver dysfunction, any systemic problem or old age problem.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to take antihistaminic like tablet hydroxyzine 25 mg twice daily, tablet gabapentine 300 mg twice daily.
Along with this apply a topical steroid like clobetasol propionate cream diluted in a moisturising lotion containing white soft paraffin on the affected areas twice daily.
These are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Besides this get your liver function tests, kidney function tests, fasting blood sugar levels, thyroid function tests and complete blood count to exclude any systemic cause of itching.
Sorry but it won't be possible for me to send the answer to your physician.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist