What causes intermenstrual bleeding while treating hypothyroidism?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 11 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: hi , I am 35 yr old female, 51 kgs, 5'3". I have a 5 yr old child and she was delivered via c-sec. I am under hypoythyroid treatment for past 3 yrs with a dosage of 100 mcg of thyronorm (mon-fri). For the past 5 months i am seeing mid cycle spotting which happens for 2 - 3 days and stops. Periods are absolutely regular (28-30 days cycle) without any pain and Thyroid and USG reports are also totally normal. I have been prescribed BlongF , 1 per day for 3 months.

6 yrs ago i had mid cycle bleeding and had a polypectomy done. I had concieved in 3 months after that. Mid cycle spotting has occured in last 3 years 1 or 2 times but was not for more then 2 months at a stretch. Please help me understand what is wrong with me and why should i take B Long F ?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
As below

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern .
b long F Can be stopped after completing three months of treatment, it is a vitamin.
Midcycle spotting could be ovulatory which is normal.
But since you have a history of polyp, please get an internal exam and ultrasound scan done because polyp is known for recurrence.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 55 minutes later
Dear Dr.

I had got an ultrasound done. I have attached the report with the question. There is no polyp or any other fibroid or cysts seen. I wanted to know why i am being given a vitamin and how will it help stop the spotting ?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As below

Detailed Answer:
The vitamin has nothing to do with the spotting.
I guess it is given for general well being.
What date was this scan done ?
And please get a transvaginal ultrasound scan done ( of uterus and pelvis done via the vagina ), not just an abdominal scan.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 48 minutes later
Thank you doctor. This scan was done 2 weeks ago. I also have a bit of facial hair on my chin and i get acne in that area around my periods. This has been so from about 3-4 yrs. Could this be connected to the spotting and hormonal imbalance ? Any connection with my thyroid ?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As below

Detailed Answer:
The symptoms that you describe are typical of PCOS - polycystic ovarian syndrome, which is linked with thyroid issues and spotting.
Please get a TVS done - that will clarify this issue also.