What causes inter menstrual bleeding?

Posted on Tue, 9 Sep 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I'm 26 years old. I've been having midcycle vaginal spotting for the past 7 years or so usually lasting 3 days. I've also had spotting with exercise and when I wear high heels. Lately within the past 3 cycles I've had bloody vaginal discharge on and off. I'm having this with walking and even bowel movements. I had a transvaginal ultrasound about 1.5 years ago showing a cyst on my right ovary that eventually went away with a follow up ultrasound. I recently had a papsmear which was negative and also a endometrial biopsy that was negative. I've also been tested for STD's they were negative as well and no I'm not pregnant never have been. I'm also not on birth control and never have been. Any ideas what may be causing this spotting?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Causes of intermenstrual bleeding can be numerous

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXX,

Thanks for posting your query,

I know it must be difficult for having to endure this kind of health problem for several years without actually getting much solution. It seems your previous doctors have eliminated the most common causes of your inter-menstrual bleeding which include complicated pregnancy, infection, ovarian cyst etc. But other causes exist such as:
- Uterine Fibroids or Polyps: These are abnormal benign uterine masses which can often lead to abnormal vaginal bleeding
- Ovarian Cysts: Since your last ultrasound was over a year ago, it will be best to repeat another ultrasound to actually rule out possibility of cyst(s) being the culprit.
Hormonal Imbalance: Gonadotrophic hormones such as estrogen and progesterone (natural hormones secreted by the female gonads) could become abnormally secreted in the blood stream and hence lead to abnormal vaginal bleeding. In your case, you might actually be having problems with your hormone balance. Your doctor can actually run some test to measure the actual levels of these hormones in your system.
Other rare causes exist such as endometriosis.
How to remedy this situation, first you need to see a gynecologist who can examine, run some tests and provide you with adequate treatment.
In some women (some of my patients), actually getting pregnant can restore your menstrual stability or taking oral contraceptive pills can help regulate. But you will need proper follow up by a doctor.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah
Dr. Nsah Bernard