What causes inter menstrual bleeding?

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: For the past 3 months I have had 2 periods a month. This month 3. I am overweight. I had an ultrasound no abnormalities. Thyroid is normal.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hormonal imbalance.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Your cycle was shorter than the normal means the secretory phase is short which is due to deficient progesterone. You should get your oestrogen and progesterone levels done as well as an USG for endometrial thickness and it is to be done after 15 days of the cycle or after ovulation. Stress and anemia can also cause shorter cycles. I would suggest you to get your AMH test done to see the ovarian reserve.
Do consult a gynecologist for proper hormonal treatment.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
would losing weight fix the imbalance? what is the treatment ? is there any harm in not taking any medication until I lose the weight ?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Start with OCPs.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Losing weight will be helpful. But it is a time taking process. Not taking any treatment till then can cause an excessive blood loss leading to weakness. It is best to start with oral contraceptive pills after consulting your gynecologist. Oral contraceptive pills (OCPs) suppress endometrial development, reestablish predictable bleeding patterns, decrease menstrual flow, and lower the risk of iron deficiency anemia.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Is there anything other than contraceptives. I am very afraid of blood clots.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
OCPs is the best option.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
The other treatment is also hormonal tablets which carries a similar risk. Taking the pills for 2-3 cycles to regularize the cycles is not worrisome. You can consult your gynecologist and she will help in ruling out all the contraindicating factors.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN