question-icon

What causes intense pain in the right hip and back?

Posted on Thu, 19 Jul 2018
Question: I have intense pain in my right hip and back. I have RA which has been in remission. The usual symptoms for RA are pain in my hands, wrist, elbows, knees , neck and feet. I have not experienced this pain. 5 nights ago I awoke with intense pain in my right hip, directly in the bone. That pain has increased and is now in my right back and in the hip. Occasionally, I experience nerve pain sensations in my right side, right arm and hip. Last night, I took methotrexate and Humira, which I have not taken in a while, as well as 2 Advil, which usually takes the edge off, hoping to relieve the intense pain in case this is RA related. I have been awake most of the night with intense pain, the Advil not helping. My fear is that this may be referred pain to either an ovarian cyst or appendix. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Possible psoas abscess

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
Well, this is pretty unusual for osteomuscular pain and RA si it may be related to intraabdominal pathology especially if you have associated fever nausea or vomit. However even without this, it may be psoas abscess or ovarian cyst. I suggest to do ultrasound to rule this out especially if those symptoms above occur. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon