• question-icon

What causes intense pain below the ribs after injury?

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello Dr. 16 days ago i performed the heimlich maneuver on an elserly man at a restaurant. I leaned over the back if the booth and pulled up really hard four
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to pulled intercostal muscles

Detailed Answer:
Pan n ribs can be due to pulled intercostal muscles or it can be due to a cracked rib.
You need to get a x-ray or preferably a CT scan of the area done which can locate soft tissue injuries very easily. Apply some cold compresses by wrapping ice in a towel and take some anti inflammatory pain killer like ibuprofen and paracetamol (acetaminophen) after consulting your general physician.
Do get some oral muscle relaxants prescribed for relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon