What causes intense itching in the hands and feet?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My husband has sudden intense itching in his hands and feet. It started within a half hour ago. he also has a large rash on his back and sides by his waist. it does not itch.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be allergic reaction to food

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what your husband had to go through.

Based on the history you have shared, it can be any ingredient in the sauce. Some times brands are different and some have nickel as a content which can trigger such allergic responses. However getting anti histamines like cetrizine or loratidine alongwith a steroid pulse for few days may help once diagnosis is confirmed on examination. An injectable steroid and anti histamine shot may be needed.

If symptoms are accompanied with shortness or difficulty breathing ot would need an urgent referal to an ER.

Wishing him a quick recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj