What causes intense ear pressure in the ears after septoplasty?

Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 13 Oct 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I had a septoplasty surgery on monday and it is now thursday. I had my splints removed today and I have a clogged ear sensation in my right ear. I tried to pop them by holding my nose, but it seams like my eustscian tubes are closed. Is this normal or did the surgery make it worse?
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is normal

Detailed Answer:
Hello

It is normal to have some amount of ear block after nose surgery. Please don't worry as this normally becomes alright in 4 to 5 days.

Please don't try to pop your ears as this may cause some bleeding from your nose.

The best thing to do is to instill oxymetazoline nasal drops in the nose, 2 drops 3 to 4 times a day for 5 days. You can also take steam inhalation thrice a day. Both these things will open up your eustachian tube.

Take care!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D