question-icon

What causes intense body aches, hoarse voice, swollen throat and chest congestion?

Posted on Wed, 20 May 2015
Question: Hello Dr. Rynne,
I have been feeling very bad for a couple of days and have attributed it to allergies since I have no fever, but I have been experiencing the following for the last 48 hours: intense body aches, hoarse voice/swollen throat, some chest congestion/drainage (clear for the most part both from cough & blowing my nose). For the last hour, however, my hands have been tingling and numb & now I'm freaking out silently at work. I still seem to have no fever and my whole body hurts, including my neck from being hunched over in my cubicle, but I can touch my chin to my chest, which I've been doing obsessively now for 45 minutes. I've taken Claritin & 1000 mg of Tylenol at 9 a.m. EST (I had to come into work) but the fact that I can barely feel my fingers is worrisome. I am a 45 yo female & have 2 teenagers at home who have not been exposed to meningitis, to my knowledge, though I do take public transportation in XXXXXXX DC. Talk me down! Thank you,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Not meningitis. You should take the day off, get examined & review meds.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. This is not meningitis.

2. You should take the day off, get examined and review the current medications.

3. The tingling and numbness is more likely to be due to weakness following this allergy/viral respiratory tract infection, worsened by anxiety.

4. You need rest, hydration and a review of your medication.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

Otolaryngologist / ENT Specialist