What causes insomnia with fatigue and high BP with a history of papillary cancer?

Posted on Wed, 16 Jul 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I had my thyroid and parathyroid plus lymph node removed due to papillary cancer 16 years ago. I felt a lump in my throat and the thyroid cancer is back. My Dr. said thyroid cancer grows so slowly that they were not concerned at this time. I have fatigue, weight loss, problem with my periods, can't sleep and when I do sleep I have a hard time getting up. I'm on high blood pressure medication and now I need glasses. I'm at loss a to what to do. I've asked for a MRI (body) and was told this wasn't done. I've ask for an adrenal work up and told this isn't needed due to what would they do about it. My Dr. also told me she did not was anything from the enter net or blogs. Please let know what to do or where I can go for help. I don't have insurance and maybe that is why no one wants to treat me. I'm desperate for someone to listen to me and treat my symptoms.
I don't want pain med or depression med. I just want to feel good. Thank you XXXX
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thyroid

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to hear about your condition.

Your doctor is right in saying that the papillary type of thyroid cancer is usually slow growing.

However, the fact that it is back and you have other symptoms, this merits a thorough evaluation to accurately diagnose the type of cancer it is and whether it has spread elsewhere in the body beyond the thyroid/neck area. Further as you have already pointed out, in view of the high blood pressure it is relevant to see if it one of those types of thyroid cancers that are associated with a syndrome where the there are tumors in the adrenal glands that cause high blood pressure.

I see you dont have insurance and that will make it very challenging to undergo a comprehensive work up.

Unfortunately I do not have a solution for this. Perhaps starting out with the free clinics in Florida would be a start. But you actually need assessment in a leading cancer center like Moffit in XXXXXXX or Mayo clinic in XXXXXXX or Shands in XXXXXXX
Some of these centers have research teams in thyroid cancer and you could potentially qualify to get care there.
Regardless, I hope you find care soon and avoid any further delay in your diagnosis/treatment
Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist