What causes insomnia and difficulty in breathing while on Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim?

Posted on Mon, 7 Nov 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am 72 and prescribed sulfamethoxazole for uti. 800-80. Have insomnia and hard to get deep breath. Also dizzy. Is it too strong
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Insomnia and difficulty in breathing can not be due to medicine .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .
You have been prescribed combination of Sulphamethoxazole and Trimthoprim for UTI and facing problems of insomnia and difficulty in breathing .

The dose of the medication that have been prescribed is optimal dose of the medicine for adult and can not be a cause for your symptoms .

The symptoms are mostly due to part of the illness itself or due to anxiety..

Taking Alprazolam in small doses may help to get sound sleep .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist