Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
144 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What causes inner ear pain?

Answered by
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Practicing since :2001

Answered : 2432 Questions

Posted on Wed, 23 Jul 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am currently experiencing, what seems to be, pain in my inner ear. The pain feels like more of a dull swelling around my inner ear and behind my outer ear. Occasionally it just feels warm and I can feel fluid moving around. I also have a constant clicking. This is mainly in my left ear but Ill sometimes notice just the clicking in the right ear. In addition, every so often I will feel pain aching in one of my lower molars which makes me wonder if this is tooth related. Lastly, I will get these tingling sensations in my head that seem to cause episodes of derealization and anxiety. My PCP has given me xanax for the anxiety and suspects I have some type of inner ear disorder. I went to go see an ENT who initially diagnosed me with a sinus infection. He had me on 2 2 week rounds of antibiotics and prednisone. This did not help at all. I just completed a CT scan and an MRI and my sinuses look fine. Also there does not seem to be any aneurysms or anything like that. I am wondering if this is more of an inner ear thing or could this be tooth related. I have been fighting this since January which is about 6 months now and would really like to know what I can do to start treating this.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Impacted tooth or TMJ dysfunction

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting the query

The elaborate history described you has made my work easier.

In the absence of any sinus related conditions, the other probable causes of earache are impacted molar tooth or TMJ Dysfunction. The dentist is the right person to help you out with this issue.

I doubt any inner ear problem. The inner ear problems are usually associated with dizziness, hearing loss, tinnitus, etc.

Till you consult your dentist, you can try the following measures:
1. Avoid taking hard food
2. Try to chew on the unaffected side
3. Apply analgesic gel around the affected ear
4. Try taking OTC pain killers such as Ibuprofen
5. Avoid clenching your teeth

Hope I have answered your queries. I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Ct scan

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing a partial vision loss - probably a TIA - what will happen when I go to the emergency room?? YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

My father undergone Electrical cardioversion treatment due to having severe Atrial Fibrilation (AF). Needless to say the treatment did not work...

doctor1 MD

I got real dizzy and kinda lost tempory balance and experienced double vision but only for 30 seconds, twice yesterday. I am in good health at 78...

doctor1 MD

Sir, My right side floating rib hits somewhere and I am having pain while moving side to side when I sleep. Feels like the rib is hitting some...