What causes initial negative HSV1&2 report and positive result in swab test from lesion?
Im just a bit confused. I tested positive by swab test to HSV1 on the genitals. Blood test also showed HSV1 and negative HSV2.
However my doc said it was from a previous outbreak nit current.
What indiny understand is, what does orevious mean in this instance when inhad a bisible legion that was swabbed and thats what came back positive. Before this legion i had never had a cold sore or anything like this on my genitals???
Please shed some light!
Im also confused as to whether i need to inform any future sexual partners?
Thank you in advance.
previous means that you have contracted it in the past
There are various ambiguous elements in your case. First of all, the swab test is the best for active lesions (culture or PCR). The antibody tests are usually negative in newly contracted herpes because they may require a couple of weeks to develop. One problem regarding herpes antibodies is that labial herpes is very common and most people would test positive for antibodies against it. This means that the positive antibodies can be related to previous labial infection (cold sore), previous genital infection or - less likely - recent genital infection.
You need to inform your partners because you may transmit it even without visible lesions! Using a condom and perhaps taking low dose antivirals will protect your future partners.
I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again if you'd like any clarification or further information.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can hyperthyroidism cause negative pregnancy test results
- Delayed period negative test results what could the cause be
- What could be the cause for positive stress test result
- What causes delayed periods with negative pregnancy test
- What causes missed periods with negative pregnancy test
- Typhoid result positive causes
- What causes bleeding after a positive pregnancy test
- What are the underlying causes for positive cocaine test
- What causes false positive meth results
- What causes delayed periods with hpt test negative