What causes ingrown hair bumps on labia?

Dr. Soumya

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 8 Dec 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I have a question about whether several bumps on my labia are just ingrown hairs, or a possible STI.
Approximately three months ago, I did have a Brazilian wax, and people warned me I might have ingrown hairs when it comes back...I also closely shaved in the last few weeks.
At the same time, I have a new sex partner, and while he doesn't believe he has any diseases, I am concerned maybe he does, or that I had something that was dormant. We did have unprotected sex one time.
These four bumps have become noticeable in the last few weeks...It is on the inner part of my labia. There are four on one side and one on the other. Please take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think.
Answered by Dr. Soumya 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ingrown hairs

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

Following is my reply

1. This is definitely not STD.

2. This appears to be a small infection in the hair root leading to ingrown hairs.

3. This will gradually come down. You don't need any medicines for it.

Let me know if you have any more doubts
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj