question-icon

What causes inflammation in feet and ankles while walking?

Posted on Tue, 8 Jul 2014
Question: When I am on my feet walking and looking example at a flea market my feet start to turn red and goes up my ankles they feel very hot like they are on fire. Whenever I get off of them they go back to normal
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (14 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such symptom can be caused by veins insufficiency. When walking, the pressure in the veins increases so the blood can not get back to the heart. This can cause swelling, redness and pain.
If you have also calf pain while walking and one foot is colder than the other one (colder when touching them), arteries narrowing due to arterosclerosis can be the reason.
I suggest you to consult vascular surgeon. Dopplers ultrasound should be done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon