What causes inflamed taste buds?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I know that I have inflamed taste buds. I'm not sure what this is though. I have it on both sides of my tounge. they don't hurt they are just there.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Benign raised papillae of the tongue side surface

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

These are raised papillae of the tongue side surface and are commonly present. They are usually benign. If they enlarge or are associated with recurrent ulceration then B complex , folate and doxycycline can be advised. If there is enlargement in size and persistence leading to obstruction/difficulty in swallowing etc then oral brush biopsy can be considered, in consult with an oral physician.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 4 minutes later
so it's nothing to be concerned about at the moment? I also have inflamed taste buds and I've had them for a few weeks is that normal? I am a chewer so things like this make me nervous
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Yes, for the time being there is no need to worry.

By inflamed taste buds , you are most likely referring to aphthous ulcers for which the same treatment can be used i.e B complex vitamins , folate and doxycycline or azithromycin course after consulting your doctor.

Let me know if you have any query.

Thanks