What causes infection after shaving legs?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Skin Rash
Question: My 12 year old daughter got what we thought was a infected hair after shaving her legs 2 days ago. As time has went on its got increasingly more sore. Even the bed sheet coming in contact with it hurts now. After she actually showed it to me tonight we cleaned it with peroxide and aftewards i'm worried it's a spider bite. Is there anything I can do? The 1st picture is before we cleaned it, 2nd is during and the 3rd is after.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It appears to be folliculitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the query
I have gone through all the images and it appears to be follicultis (infection of hair follicle) not spider bite or other form of irritant dermatitis.
In spider bite usually the superficial skin layer remains intact and lesion is larger.Also the surrounding redness a sign of inflammation is more in spider bite which is not in your case.
I would suggest you to do regular dressing by cleaning with fresh water and apply some antibiotic ointment like mupirocin which has a good coverage for staphylococcus the most common organism causing follicultis.
With these measure the lesion should heal within one week.Avoid using hydrogen peroxide as too much use may lead to skin damage.
I shall be glad to answer if you have any more query

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology