What causes inexplicable weight loss and prominence of xiphoid process

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: I've lost about 20 pounds since christmas and overall I'm down about 45 pounds over the last two years. I have a xiphoid process that has always protruded a bit but now it is more visible. Over the last week I've had a dull achy feeling seemingly in the muscles adjacent to and just behind the XP and it also feels as if it pulls in the area of my XP if I sit up real straight. It's not painful but it is uncomfortable. Can someone help me with what may cause this and if I should be worried and will it go away?
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Prominent xiphoid & Xiphoidalgia

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.
You have got an undue prominence of xiphoid process which is unlikley to be anything pathological.Now that you have lost weight about 20 pounds,it has become more visible.
However there is a possibility of Xiphoidalgia (Xiphodynia) ,a syndrome characterized by pain ( dull achy feeling ) and tenderness to the sternum. Lifting heavy objects or trauma to the chest may be the cause of this musculoskeletal disorder and pain may be heightened by change of posture(sitting up real straight).

I am doubtful if this pain would regress. If it starts to affect you, anesthetic and steroid injections may be used to treat this medical condition. Nevertheless, it is unlikely to harm you.

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas