What causes indigestion and vomiting after eating a meal?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 12 Oct 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have been unable to hold down any food for four days - when I eat something, I throw it up within 3-4 hours
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Acute gut inflammation(enteritis).

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.
Most likely you are suffering from acute gastroenteritis,usually gastroenteritis is caused by viral infection(Nova virus) and is self limiting,takes five to seven days,But as you mentioned its already more 4 days it can either be bacterial or protozoa infection or a mixed infection.
In enteritis intestines are inflamed therefore when ever you take food pain,nausea and vomiting would be there.

I would suggest you to go for few tests
Ultra sound abdomen
Stool test under microscope
Complete blood count
Total and differential leucocyte count.

If stool test is positive for bacterial or protozoa infection start taking Zithromax(Azithromycin 500 mg once daily) and secnidazole 1 gram daily for 5 days. Its an antibiotic and is a prescription medicine.
Take zofran 4mg thrice daily an Over the counter anti emetic. In case if loose stool starts take Tab imodium 4 mg stat followed by 2 mg twice daily.
Eat light and easily digestible food.
Drink plenty of water and electrolytes to maintain hydration.
Monitor pulse and blood pressure twice daily.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj